Create your own scene:
- Identify a scene in the original film, Gattaca, that both strongly represents the distinctive cinematography that Andrew Niccol employed in the film and also communicates a strong idea from the text. Upload the time stamps for the beginning and end of this scene to your blog.
- On your blog, closely analyse this scene, making connections between the techniques of film making and the meaning they convey:
- Camera angles, shots and movements
- Use of colour filters, lighting and specialised visual processes
- Symbols present
- The setting – the buildings, places, and atmosphere in the scene
- Costume and interior design
- Camera editing choices – how long shots are held, what transitions are used
- Representation of time – is the scene in real-time?
- Devise your own scene, that embodies the same idea, and uses the same techniques as your chosen one – except set it in the present/near future in Wanaka/Mt Aspiring College
Once the films are made: Select one and perform the following analysis: